The Geomancer

1/25/10

BSFA Award Nomination for Desolation Road

Ian McDonald's brilliant "Vishnu at the Cat Circus," the original story that closes out Cyberabad Days, has made the 2010 BSFA Award Shortlist, in the category of Best Short Fiction. Being a UK award, this is for the Gollancz edition, so we won't list it here on (ahem) Pyr's list of amazing accomplishments. But we are thrilled for Ian, and with this, and the PKD nomination for the entire collection, wonder what other award nominations might be in store for Ian... (cough, cough).

Meanwhile, I was equal parts delighted and surprised to see the cover for Desolation Roadup for a BSFA as well in the category of Best Artwork. It's got to be rare for a US cover to get a nod from the British Science Fiction Association Awards, right? And from the look of the press release, the nomination is shared equally between illustrator Stephan Martinière and designer Jacqueline Nasso Cooke, which thrills me no end.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:20 PM

    I completely agree with the nom for best cover. I have not seen such a visually stunning or more enigmatic cover for a novel in quite a few years. It's a book I'm seriously considering buying two copies of: one to read and one to frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very kind of you to say, very. I may be posting the full cover to Ares Express in a few...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree - I'm not sure there's a more attractive book anywhere on my shelves. I almost want to face it forward like a bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to get some of those things that hold books face out that I can use to display certain titles on corner shelves...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I posted here yesterday, Jan. 26, but apparently it didn't make it.

    I agree with Adam most definitely! And I do have this book on my shelf with the cover facing forward like in a bookstore.

    And when Dervish House is out, it too will face forward!

    ReplyDelete