The Geomancer

10/2/09

Hateful Heroes

I recently was asked to contribute to an online list of favorite literary villains. It got me to thinking about hating our heroes, too. There is something delicious and compulsively readable about a hero who is a complete ass. Are you looking for a way to reclaim your story idea from the doldrums? How about reconfiguring your protagonist into an infuriating, sometimes repulsive, anti-social genius?

Does someone come to mind immediately? If you mentioned Gregory House of the TV medical show, you're on my wavelength.

I think the show was a bit repetitive this past season, but I kept watching just for the vile doctor. Here is a brilliant hero who is hard to like, but who makes everyone around him seem pathetically common and boring. His healing is solely (so far) for the purpose of testing his diagnostic skills.You've doubtless heard that House is a take-off on Sherlock Holmes . . . another hero--like Scarlet O'Hara, and many others--who doesn't bother winning our empathy.How do the writers get by with this?

My take is that these maddening heroes behave in anti-social ways that we often wish to. Normally we might not want to hurt feelings, but aren't there times--perhaps lots of them--when you just want to let go and say what you mean, no matter how cynical and thoughtless it might be--just to shake up the status quo? Just to tell the truth for once? These hateful heroes do so with the charm (Scarlet) or wit (House) that we would love to have.

Part of the secret to these great characters is their attractive qualities that more than make up for their delicious indulgences. House saves lives with his uncanny deductions. He is also quite funny. (Hmm. Make note to self.) Scarlet is magnetic, attracting every male (and female) in the room. But House is the stronger character. He has a big personal quality that she lacks. He is self-aware. He knows that he despises himself. Ordinary people would whine and deny. Not House. Without realizing it, we admire his self-knowledge.

Another bit of genius: the writers keep giving us moments when House will surely cave in. We hope for his redemption; we think we see moments. . . we desperately want him to believe in something. We are hooked on House. Notice how the writers constantly craft moments when we are led once again to hope. This is the real underlying drama of House--beyond the sick patients and the love lives of his fellow doctors: will House be redeemed?

For another study in dark heroes, read Joe Abercrombie's First Law series (a fantasy.) You may disagree with me that the torturer Glokta is a protagonist (at least in the first book), but do take a look at this masterful rendering of a shockingly cruel character whom we find irresistible.

OK, and for my list of favorite villains in fantasy, horror, and science fiction. From SF Signal.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this! I tried doing an anti-hero. In fact, it was my first attempt at novel-writing and was a huge mistake. This helps me see where I went wrong. I saved it to my harddrive under "How to write an anti-hero." Maybe someday I can get it right now. ;D And yes, I made sure I noted where it came from. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, many of us have first novels like that! Mine lives in a box in the basement. I sometimes hope that, rereading the damn thing, it won't be all that bad, but afraid to look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope. I KNOW mine is that bad. LOL. I just looked up your novels. Loved The Entire and the Rose cover. The library database says it's S.F., but the cover looks like Chinese-inspired fantasy. I write Chinese fantasy, so I'm intrigued. I guess I will just have to check it out. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly qualifies as "Mandarin-inspired sci-fantasy."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo hoo! The world needs more Mandarin-inspired fantasy. :) Guy Gavriel Kay's comes out next spring, in case you're interested. Mine will be query-ready by then; better late than never.
    I ordered my copy of Kay's this morning after commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with it! And yes, more Mandarin-fantasy! Let me know how you find Kay's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will do that. The publisher has agreed to give me early access so I can write a book review for China History Forum Online. I'll send you a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgive me for bringing up a book our company is publishing, but next year Planet Stories will reprint the Walrus and the Warwolf by Hugh Cook, with an introduction by China Mieville. I daresay there are not many less likeable heroes than Drake Douay. I think of him as an anti-Candide as he traverses a far future Earth wreaking havoc wherever he goes. The late Mr. Cook had a peculiar view of the world,and always entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And while we are on the subject of anti-heroes, I feel compelled to mention a few more: Thomas Covenant, Cugel the Clever, Gulley Foyle. Although Covenant and Foyle found redemption of a sort, lucky for us, Cugel will always be Cugel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No forgiveness necessary. All good books are good books!

    ReplyDelete