The Geomancer

12/5/08

Sandy Collora's Hunter Prey

I have a soft spot for commercial director and filmmaker Sandy Collora's short and very professional fan film, Batman: Dead End. And you know I am always excited about indicators that SF filmmaking is becoming more affordable, thus leading to more of every kind of SF film. So I was excited to see this piece on io9.com interviewing Sandy about his new feature-length original film, Hunter Prey. Apparently the film -- about "a crew of special forces commandos who must recapture an alien prisoner that has escaped after the military transport ship carrying it crashes on a desolate and hostile planet" -- has even attracted the attention of Guillermo Del Toro. So hopefully this will lead to more and bigger things from a director who says that science fiction has the power to make you think about "things like war, politics and current events, by presenting them in situations cinematically from a uniquely different perspective. That's one of the great things about Science Fiction; You can tell the audience something in a very unique way by using the guise of a futuristic world or society that can reflect our own."

6 comments:

  1. I think the SciFi channel picked it up. His Batman: Dead End is really cool.

    One of my wife's college friends is Sandy's cousin, got to meet him and we commiserated on what the Superman film could have been. He's a pretty cool guy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've only exchanged emails, but he strikes me as a cool guy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:58 AM

    I thought Batman: Dead End was a very cool little film and based on that alone I'm very interested in seeing this new film - plus the pics look very cool and right up my street!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:29 PM

    Lou,

    Thanks a lot for the kind words and the blurb. Very cool of you to do that : ) It means a lot, especially when you're a little guy, with a little film, that you're trying to roll up a big hill.

    Teaser/trailer for the film coming first of new year. Stay Tuned!

    SC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sandy, good to hear from you. I am looking forward to both trailer and film! Good luck with it. Very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a big Sci Fi/ Fantasy fan and Hunter Prey is one of the best. Great movie and I hope to see more like it.
    Well done Mr. Collora.

    ReplyDelete